Volunteers are critical to the operation of the shelter.
Because we are a small non-profit shelter, we rely on our volunteers to help us keep the shelter clean and the cats well-loved. Please let us know if you'd like to join us!
Please review our volunteer policies and a complete listing of everything you can do to help by downloading our Volunteer Manual in PDF.
You may also wish to consult our Customer Service manual, particularly if you wish to help with Adoption Counseling or Fundraising.
Below is a summary of our volunteer "jobs:"
- Social hour. Would you rather talk to cats than to people? Then this job is for you! Our cats need loving interaction with people. When you sit, pet, and talk to them, you help them become more comfortable with people and improve their chances for adoption.
- Playtime. Do you enjoy watching cats run and leap? Cats need a chance to play and exercise. We have balls, furry mice, laser lights and other toys at the shelter for your play dates!
- Grooming. Always dreamed of being a hairdresser? Regular brushing and combing is important. We have a variety of brushes and combs. Please disinfect them after each use. (Manicures not included! Do not cut the cats' nails without permission from and supervision by a member of the Cat Care Committee.)
- Cleaning. You'll never get bored at the shelter if you like to clean! If this is your cup of tea, we have lots for you to do. Litter boxes, plastic hoods, room furniture, plexiglas, windows, floors, and laundry!
- Transportation. Our vet transporters drive cats to their daytime veterinary appointments. Many volunteers like the flexibility of this "job" and find it rewarding.
- Fundraising. Enjoy meeting people and raising money? We need volunteers to help organize fundraising events, make crafts, bake for events, or distribute flyers for events.
- Foster Care. Do you have a quiet home, a spare room, a car, and lots of love to give? Foster Care might be for you. It's a richly rewarding experience.
- Adoption Counselors. Would you like to train to be an adoption counselor? Counseling entails guiding adopters through the ICS adoption process, which includes working to make the best match possible for the cats AND potential adopters.
You may fill in our online volunteer form below, or you may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of the Independent Cat Society will contact you with more information.
Link to Volunteer Form (online submission) - opens in new window
Giving to ICS
Find out more about how to make a donation or order a Rainbow Bridge Garden commemorative brick
Volunteer With Us!
We could always use more volunteers - all talents welcome!
Learn more about our Board of Directors and review meeting minutes
Join us in our many fundraising and educational events each year!
All about adopting a cat or kitten from ICS
Interested in fostering?
Can't adopt? Consider sponsoring one of our shelter pets.
The quarterly publication from ICS.
Browse our cats and meet the one for you!
Join now to start donating 3-30% of every purchase to Independent Cat Society Inc. while you shop online at places like eBay, Target, and Home Depot.